Thursday, July 15, 2010

Who I Know

I just read a book that I loved. The title is "I Am Not but I Know I AM" by Louie Giglio. I checked it out at the library a few weeks ago as a last minute grab off the shelf. I always get a huge stack and only read a few before they have to be returned...and this time I chose to read this book.

I Am Not...

But

I Know

I AM.

John 3:27-28 "John replied, 'No one can receive anything unless God gives it from heaven. You yourselves know how plainly I told you, 'I am not the Messiah. I am only here to prepare the way for him."

John knew who he wasn't. But he knew who he was...and he knew God. He never tried to be something he wasn't. John knew his purpose and worked with passion and diligence at it...and when Jesus came and others wanted to know who John was...he plainly stated..."I am not the Messiah".

In the book Louie Giglio writes on page 92:

John knew his name was "I am not: he was free from--
*the seduction of fame
*the tyranny of comparison
*the delusional current of self-deception
*the never-ending scramble to the top of the heap
*ego
*jealousy
*backbiting
*a massively swollen head

I think when we know I AM (God) and we know who we are not (we are not the Messiah) we are humbled and grateful. We can be free of the worries and fears of trying to be something we aren't....

As I think about my life....
time spent worrying about what others thought of me
time spent trying to live up to every one's expectations
time trying to be what the world wanted
time trying to hide from who I had become

I realize and rejoice that I Know I AM.

And I get to be content in who God chose to purpose me in this world at this time.

Some things don't seem to matter any more.
Other things are more important.
Minutes of life seem precious and purposeful.
I work more on the inside of my heart than the outside of my body.
I understand the temple and taking care of it.
I know people need love and they need to know Jesus by knowing my heart not my size.

I Know I Am

I Know I Am Not.

Blessings,
Teresa

No comments:

Post a Comment