Saturday, December 11, 2010

This is What I Saw Tonight....

Some days I complain and say I don't have anything...I complain about the things I have. I think that my things aren't good enough or that I don't have enough....But tonight I sit in my house and am humbled when I look around....I see it all...I have it all...I have faith...I have provision...I have God...I have life.

This is what I saw tonight as I looked....

My washer and dryer are both running right now.
Warm water ran through my faucet to help wash my dishes.
I can turn the fire on if I get cold.
The lights in the living room are on and giving light for my daughter to read.
I made dinner for my kids tonight with all of the food groups.
I have a menu made for the week and enough ingredients to make each meal.
We took warm showers this morning with soap and shampoo.
When I woke up this morning I turned my coffee maker on and fresh coffee dripped out.
I got dressed for work this morning and had wool socks to put on under my hiking boots to keep my feet warm. And gloves and a coat to wear to protect me from the wind and rain.
I went to the store and bought grapes, brussel sprouts, broccoli, yogurt, and frosting for our sugar cookies.
I made sugar cookie dough and I had enough ingredients to make a few batches.
I made tea...and I got to choose which flavor I wanted.
I read my email, used my cell phone, drove my van, and used my computer today.

Damaris, the child our family sponsors through Compassion, wakes up and has just enough food for the day...has to walk to get water...wonders if she is safe....washes clothes by hand and hangs them to dry...doesn't have a computer or cell phone...warm water is heated on the stove...walks to get where she needs to go...

Others sleep out in the cold...hands and bodies cold...wondering when they will get food and water...wish for hot coffee...want to talk to someone...look at the store knowing they can't go in and get the things they want...desire clean clothes.

Some live in despair...hurt and scared...feel shame and guilt...have terrible self hate...are paralyzed with fear...they can't see who God created them to be.

Can you look around today and see what you have...not just in things but the blessings surrounding you...warm water...food...shelter...clothing...shampoo...?

My family was asked what we wanted for Christmas...I can't buy gifts...someone wants to help us....I didn't want to tell them. We have so much. Others have much less than us...they don't even have warm water or choices or security...why do we need anything...I didn't want to tell them anything...I told them we had all we needed...so we are giving as much as we can...collecting gloves, scarves, and hats for others....making carmel corn for our neighborhood...giving out granola bars and dried fruit to those who hold up signs on the side of the road...I don't tell you this to brag...really I am not...I am just trying to make sense of sitting in a home full of love and everything we NEED...knowing my kids WANT...but knowing we have all we NEED...so the only thing I can think to do is give what I can...

God is asking us to -- Give...serve...share...love
Love, Teresa

No comments:

Post a Comment