Wednesday, January 13, 2010

I Want to be Ready

Last Wednesday I was having coffee with my good friend. I was telling her that I was going to fast from wearing makeup. We started to talk about what we do each mornig when we wake up and "get ready" for our day. Part of "getting ready" for me is showering, straightening my hair (or letting it go curly), putting my make up on, and getting dressed (thankfully :) ). I thought about that after our conversation...am I not ready if I skipped one of those steps? I think I would have felt not ready for my day if I left one out.

Yesterday I realized I had left my bible in the car so I went to my shelf and grabbed my old one that is falling apart...literally whole sections fall out when I pick it up...it has been much read!

I turned to Luke 12. Sometimes I follow a reading plan. I haven't followed it yet this year, but decided to yesterday. Luke 12 was part of the New Testament reading for the day. And here is what I read:

Be Ready for the Lord’s Coming
35 “Be dressed for service and keep your lamps burning, 36 as though you were waiting for your master to return from the wedding feast. Then you will be ready to open the door and let him in the moment he arrives and knocks. 37 The servants who are ready and waiting for his return will be rewarded. I tell you the truth, he himself will seat them, put on an apron, and serve them as they sit and eat! 38 He may come in the middle of the night or just before dawn. But whenever he comes, he will reward the servants who are ready.
40 You also must be ready all the time, for the Son of Man will come when least expected.”

God wants us to be ready "to open the door and let him in the moment he arrives and knocks", are ready "and waiting for his return", be ready "all the time". He wants us to be ready for Him. If he comes tomorrow we should be living a faithful live. We should be loving, forgiving, and allowing God to work on the conditions of our hearts. We need to be ready.

I am reading a book on Mother Teresa....Someone asked her "What place do you give Jesus in your life?" Her response: " I give Him all the place." She was ready for Jesus. She was on a constant pursuit to "Be His Light".

As we get up in the morning and "get ready" for our day, let's make sure we start with Jesus. Then we can shower, do our hair, put on our makeup (okay just the girls), and get dressed. Let us seek God's direction for the day and what He wants us to do while we wait for his return.

I believe God is asking me to not wear makeup so that I can understand what it really means to get ready in the morning. All of those steps got me ready to walk out in to the world and be "acceptable".in the world's view..but God wants me to be ready for him first. He wants me to get ready for Him. I am learning so much and I am only on day four of this fast! God really just amazes me in every way.

Madie (my 13 year old) could use prayer. She struggles with some anger, low self image and abrasiveness...and today she hit a wall...I am in need of wisdom on how to be the mom she needs right now...and how to love her through this.

Here is a link to a great song my sister Leah told me about. Let's see if I can get it to work.

http://new.music.yahoo.com/hopedoor/tracks/receive--183258033

Have a great night.
Blessings....Teresa

No comments:

Post a Comment